Sunday, April 28, 2013

Funnier in Translation

Buying my favorite packaged-for-Europe rice cakes at my local MaxMart grocery store in Accra, I noticed someone had (very helpfully) stuck on a sticker translating the ingredients and the marketing hype.


"Ingredients: 98. % natural brown rice, sesame.  Perhaps check the rice cakes, for example, for breakfast including, as a snack for in between, at home, traveling or at work.  The recipes are as delicious as it manifolds: it tastes better with butter, honey, fruit spreads, curd, cheese, hearty cold cuts, delicious biozentrale spreads or as companion to all kinds of fruity yogurt."

It makes me laugh when I come across such examples of semi-mangled English.  These even wittier for trying (and mostly succeeding) to sound upscale.

Sometimes things are simply funnier in translation.

"…check the rice cakes…" - Check them for what?  Well, if it's my kitchen these days, for ants.

"…as a snack for in between…" - For in between?

"The recipes are as delicious as it manifolds…" - Gotta applaud the random use of "manifolds."

And I love the way "it tastes better with butter" rolls off the tongue.

I must admit that, after photographing the packaging just now, I had a rice cake with some fruity spreads.

Guess I'm a sucker for marketing hype.  Maybe things are tastier in translation, too.

2 comments:

Mandy Indonesia said...

Im glad to read you again.I really like your article. Thanks for this post.
Best for you Buddy!

Used Laptop Wholesalers said...

Really very happy to say,your post is very interesting to read.I never stop myself to say something about it.You’re doing a great job.Keep it up